If your group is earning and/or spending money, your troop/group is required to set up a bank account (one bank account per troop # or Community): with at least two registered unrelated adult troop members and a member of the Community team as signers. If you’re taking over an existing troop, you may inherit a checking account, but with a new troop, you’ll want to open a new account. This usually happens as the troop is formed so there is a place to make deposits, such as troop dues or money from product sales or troop money-earning activities. Start here to begin working with GSTF Troop Support to establish a troop bank account. Consider these tips when working with a group account:
- Keep group funds in the bank before an activity or trip, paying for as many items as possible in advance of your departure.
- Use debit cards during the activity or trip.
- Make one person responsible for group funds and for keeping a daily account of expenditures.
- Have one or more back-up people who also have debit cards, in case the main card is lost.
- Handle a lost group debit card the same way you would a personal debit card: cancel it immediately.
Girl Scout troops at every level should keep troop funds in a troop checking account established using these guidelines:
- Name – Open the bank account in the name of “Girl Scouts of Tropical Florida Troop #_____”
- Federal Tax Identification – The account should use GSTF’s Federal Tax Identification number when opening the account to ensure that funds held in the account are tax-exempt. Please call Troop Support at 305-253-4841 to obtain authorization letter to open a troop bank account. You will need to provide bank information and your required signers (see Establishing an Account above).
- Signature – There should be at least three registered unrelated and authorized signatories, one being a Community team member to ensure access to the account in case of emergency.
- Debit Card & Checks – Troops must request a debit card and checks for their troop account. No name, address, social security number, or phone number should be printed on any checks. Checks should only read: “Girl Scouts of Tropical Florida Troop #_______”.
- Checks should say- GSTF Troop #________ 11347 SW 160th Street, Miami, FL 33157
Troop funds shall never be intermingled with personal accounts.